question-icon

Is Wysolone effective at treating vitiligo?

Posted on Thu, 11 Oct 2018
Question: I had vitiligo @ 10years which was cured by neosarelen twice a week with sun exposure and after 35+ years the disease is recurred and currently I was given troid 25mg for 1 month and stopped. Presently doctor has suggested 20mg wysolone twice a week, Am I going on correct path, please suggest.
All the spots are small on palm, fingers and toe. 1-2 spots on knee on both arms.legs. This is minimal discomfort, but I wanted to be sure that this does not spread largely.
XXXXXXX vas XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Dr. Kakkar (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:

Regarding Wysolone in vitiligo

Detailed Answer:

Treatment for Vitiligo is guided mainly by the extent of involvement

- whether it is limited involvement or extensive involvement with vitiligo and secondly by the activity of disease

- stable vitiligo or progressive vitiligo.

In progressive vitiligo new patches of vitiligo develop and it is further qualified depending on the rate of progression.

i.e how fast they are developing - rapidly progressive or gradually progressive vitiligo.

Wysolone is an oral steroid and it is mainly used to stop the progression

i.e to arrest the disease. Wysolone is not for repigmentating existing vitiligo patches.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Kakkar S., Dermatologist
Dr. Dr. Kakkar

Dermatologist