Is Whey protien powder advisable while on Nexium for GERD?

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Wed, 21 Sep 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hello Doctor,

I diagnosed with GERD and using nexium. Now days I start workout in after a break. May I use isolated whey protein after workout? Does it will increase GERD problem. when ever I drink hot fully fat milk suffered from bloting and gas.

And as recommended earlier I should have to avoid dairy products so I can't take yoghurt also?
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
follow the advises.. maintain a healthy lifestyle..

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX, Welcome to HCM,
I've gone through your query and understand your concern..

First of all please continue Nexium as already prescribed by your doctor..

There are few things regarding foods and supplements..

Firstly, please stop consuming Full fat milk at the earliest, it's prone for causing as well as aggravating all those symptoms..you can take double toned milk instead..

Yes, dairy product is quite notorious in aggravating all those GERD symptoms, better to avoid them..

No, you can safely take Yogurt and curd, they are in fact rich in healthy bacteria for your gut functioning..

Start substituting the full fat milk with greek-yogurts and curds, you'll feel better..

Avoid any smoking/alcohol(if at all you do)..

Take small portion frequent meals(4-5 times a day) instead of 2-3 large portion meals..

Have lean meats like fish/chicken in daily diet(if non vegetarian), otherwise take simple oven roasted almonds, ground nuts, dates on daily basis..

I'd suggest not to start taking whey protein powder immediately..give the body accustomed to these other changes at first..continue taking whole grain, high protein diet from natural resources in the meanwhile..

Avoid fizzy carbonated beverages..take fresh fruits instead of packaged fruit juices..

Later on, despite following all these, if you feel there's still not much improvement overall in body mass (which takes time, at least few months to yield full benefit), then further supplementation can be planned accordingly along with a dietitian's consultation as well..

Let me know how you stay in the due course..

Take Care
Kind Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee