Is Warfarin advisable during pregnancy?

Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist

Posted on Tue, 10 May 2016 in Women's Health
Question: Hello sir.. My wife is pregnant but she uses warf 5mg tablet every day. Is it effects the to be born baby...any remedy is there plz tell me
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
ITS CONTRAINDICATED IN PREGNANCY

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query to hcm,
Warfarin is contraindicated in women who are pregnant except in pregnant women with mechanical heart valves, who are at high risk of thromboembolism, and for whom the benefits of warfarin may outweigh the risks. Warfarin can cause fetal harm when administered to a pregnant woman. Warfarin exposure during pregnancy causes a recognized pattern of major congenital malformations (warfarin embryopathy), fetal hemorrhage, and an increased risk of spontaneous abortion and fetal mortality. The reproductive and developmental effects of warfarin have not been evaluated in animals. If WARF are used during pregnancy or if the patient becomes pregnant while taking this drug, the patient should be apprised of the potential hazard with warfarin to the fetus.

In humans, warfarin crosses the placenta, and concentrations in fetal plasma approach the maternal values. Exposure to warfarin during the first trimester of pregnancy caused a pattern of congenital malformations in about 5% of exposed offspring. Warfarin embryopathy is characterized by nasal hypoplasia with or without stippled epiphyses (chondrodysplasia punctata) and growth retardation (including low birth weight). Central nervous system and eye abnormalities have also been reported, including dorsal midline dysplasia characterized by agenesis of the corpus callosum, Dandy-Walker malformation, midline cerebellar atrophy, and ventral midline dysplasia characterized by optic atrophy. Mental retardation, blindness, schizencephaly, microcephaly, hydrocephalus, and other adverse pregnancy outcomes have been reported following warfarin exposure during the second and third trimesters of pregnancy.
So if low molecular weight heparin can be supplemented instead, you may discuss with your doctor.
rEGARDS