Is WBC count of 11.2 a cause for concern?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Sat, 11 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi. I had blood tests done. my wbc was 11.2 and absolute neutrophils was 8366. Is that anything to be concerned about? Also, what is neutrophils? thanks
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it's margianlly higher than normal

Detailed Answer:

the answer is that you shouldn't probably worry too much about it, particularly if you don't have any symptoms. A white blood cell count elevation can be caused by far too many causes to list here. An infection is the most common one. Potential causes include totally benign conditions like smoking just before the blood was drawn and psychological stress or any kind of pain. Any kind of infection, autoimmune disorder or tumor may cause elevation of the white blood cells count.

The neutrophils are just one of the kinds of white blood cells every human has. The neutrophils deal with intruders (bacteria mostly) and their counts are higher during the course of infections or other stressful situations.

Normally the white blood cells are less than 10.0 and the neutrophils are less than 75% of them.

So in conclusion, if you don't have any symptoms then this result is not very worrisome. Since it's not normal, you'd better repeat the test if symptoms develop or a week (or so) after the initial test. It will probably be OK!

I hope you find my comments helpful!
Kind regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 3 hours later
thanks for your answer. In looking back at my last blood test 3years ago, it was high too. the only problem I have is neuropathy and take gabapentin. I also take temapazam to sleep. I do smoke about 10 cigarettes a day. being that it was high the last time too and the doc didn't do any further testing, could it just be my norm? by the way, I did have a smoke before blood tests. thanks in advance.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Smoking or your norm

Detailed Answer:
Yes, it could be both. You can find out by doing a complete blood count before smoking. Since the test result was the same 3 years ago, I don't think it's worrisome.

Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 8 hours later
Hi and thanks again. on another note. I do have esophagitis. during the night I had heartburn, vomiting and diarrhoea. Came on suddenly. does this sound more like the stomach flu?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes, it's possible...

Detailed Answer:
You're welcome. Esophagitis is not related probably but the presumably infectious disorder you had last night may be the cause. I can't say whether it was a food-borne disorder caused by preformed toxins or an infection caused by a viruses of bacteria.

Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 2 days later
I haven't eaten since Friday since my stomach still hurts. I have been sucking on ice cubes. is this too long to go without eating. I am tempted to go to er but not sure if I should
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
fluid intake is more important

Detailed Answer:
This is long enough... Fluid intake is more important. Without adequate fluid intake you may develop kidney problems. If you can't eat or drink enough (due to vomiting or for any other reason) then you'd better seek medical assessment.

Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 24 hours later
I went to Urgent Care today and have stomach flu. How long does that usually last. I also have a uti infection. would that have anything to do with stomach virus? thanks
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
it doesn't

Detailed Answer:
No a UTI and a gastroenteritis have nothing in common... The duration depends on the cause. If it's viral you should expect 4-5 days. If it's due to preformed toxins (rotten food) then it may take less than a couple of days. In bacterial infections it may last for more depending on the pathogen.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 47 hours later
thanks. I feel better, by so tired. is that normal after stomach flu?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes it is

Detailed Answer:
You're welcome!

It's normal to feel tired for a few days. You should get better soon.

Kind Regards!