Is Vraylar effective in treating negative symptoms of schizophrenia?

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 29 May 2018 in Mental Health
Question: i like to know how much improvement on new medication vraylar (cariprazine) for negative symptoms of shizophrenia if we compared it with current medications(like abilify and zyprexa)
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The drug has great potential in negative symptoms

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM

Cariprazine is a newer drug and if we consider its efficacy in negative symptoms then in a lot of studies the drug showed greater efficacy in controlling negative symptoms of schizophrenia compared to placebo and other drugs.

I couldn't find studies comparing Cariprazine directly with Olanzapine or Aripiprazole. But in a number of studies it showed greater efficacy than Risperidone (which is similar to Olanzapine or Aripiprazole).

So we can say based upon initial studies that the drug has promising efficacy in negative symptoms of schizophrenia or depression.

Thanks and take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 36 minutes later
i have this study on internet. the study compare cariprazine with risperdone. the mean baseline for negative symptoms for 2 groups(each group contain 230 patients) was 28 pts. after 14 weeks the score decrease 7.4 pts for respiredone and 8.9 pts for cariprazine. how to calculate the improvement in each drug for negative symptoms
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
PANSS was used.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

In that particular study a scale was used to compare the effectiveness. The PANSS was used and in that scale negative symptoms are in range of 7 to 49. The scale was administered at start of study and at 14 weeks it resulted in reduction of negative symptoms score by 8.9 points compared to 7.4 points (mean) with Risperidone.

I hope you are understanding this.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 2 hours later
yes but my question we can say to calculate the improvement in %: (18÷49)-1=63% improvement on cariprazine
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
The exact percentage is difficult to be calculated.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

The study consisted of only 460 subjects and its not possible to find exact percentage of improvement. But yes we can say the difference in improvement of negative symptoms in PANSS scale was statistically significant. This means the drug can become one of main drug for treatment of negative symptoms.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana