Is Viagra advisable for erectile dysfunction?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in General Health
Question: I have seen two general practitioners asking them about ED which I have noticed since about 8 months ago.38 yr old male.BMI 33.Blood pressure high within normal range.Cholesterol taken twice this year 5.5 then 5.4 so a little high. Both doctors informed me that at my age it is almost always psychological and just prescribed Viagra.The thing is I have weak or non existent morning erections and as far as I know that is not typical of psychological cause. I have not taken the viagra yet as I am nervous about possible side effects. Also the ED is general and not specific to being with a partner. My testosterone was tested and is normal. Is a physical cause being ruled out too quickly?What can the cause be and how should I go about investigating it?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Try viagra and if it fails, then something else must be investigated!

Detailed Answer:

Given the information you have provided, it is difficult to think of a possible physical cause. Hormones normal, No diabetes, No hypertension, no vascular issues, etc. I will strongly recommend you go with viagra. It takes a single erection to bring all back to normal. If this fails to help, only then will i ask that you see a urologist for further evaluation.

It is correct that early morning erections always make a difference in terms of thinking about psychological causes and others. However, it is not always the norm.

In all, try viagra. It is safer than most medications. Results will help us determine further actions.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.