Is Trileptal required for treating a flu?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Thu, 2 Aug 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hello,

For the first two weeks of the year, I had an apparently rare (spelled: crazed, acid-trip-esque) reaction to this year’s flu (influenza A) which included what appeared to be a seizure and hallucinations. After being hospitalized twice and seeing a variety of docs (including best-in-the state neurologists at OHSU) and after the usual tests—ID, toxicity, spinal tap, MRI, sleep-deprived EEG, and 24-hour EEG—came back normal, I’ve been prescribed Trileptal by my regular doctor ahead of a March visit with a local neurologist. My concern is the “blunting” this drug is having on my personality, the fatiguing impact it’s having on my mental acuity, and the other scary side effects. I’m also unsure if I even need it given it was just a weird flu as far as the medical folks can tell. Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Long-term antiepileptic drug is not needed.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.

I am Dr Sudhir Kumar, Neurologist, and I would try my best to help you.

I have noted your clinical details. Based on this, you seem to have had a single seizure during the acute phase of flu. All your investigations including MRI brain, EEG and lumbar puncture are normal. In this scenario, the risk of recurrence of seizure is extremely low. Therefore, in my opinion you do not need long-term anti-epileptic drugs. Trileptal (oxcarbazepine) is causing side effects in you, therefore, it may be better to stop it.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D