Is Translarna safe to take for g6pd deficiency?
Coq10 is taken for MD ..I was wondering if it is ok for him take it ? Do you know? Also there is a new drug called Translarna ... do you know if it would be ok to take? thanks XXXXXXX
Safe, benefit of translarna is questionable
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern, I am reaaly sorry about your son's health issues.
Regarding the effect of CoQ10 on G6PD deficiency, you do not have to worry, that coenzyme does not play a role on it and can be safely taken.
As for Translarna....it is not listed among drugs who carry a risk for G6PD deficiency patients. However it is a new drug in the market and there is not a lot of experience with its use and perhaps the future may reveal new unknown side effects, however judging by the way it acts it shouldn't make any harm in G6PD deficiency.
As for its efficacy in MD though, it is questioned by many. It has been approved in Europe, but not in the US and not approved for reimboursement in Uk, because it is thought that studies up to now haven't really shown any substantial benefit, certainly not enough to justify its huge cost unfortunately.
I remain at your disposal for other questions.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Is floor wax safe for g6pd deficient
- G6pd deficiency safe antipyretic
- Is eucalyptus oil safe for g6pd deficiency
- Does cephalosporins safe in g6pd deficiency
- Is vicks vaporub safe for g6pd deficiency
- Is it safe to take flagyl by g6pd deficient patients
- Is it safe to take flagyl in g6pd deficiency
- Phenergan is safe for g6pd deficient baby?
- Unsafe and safe food for g6pd deficiency
- Is chlorella safe for g6pd deficiency