Is Tramadol safe to take for chronic pain?

Dr. Naveen Kumar

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have chronic pain due to arthritis. Is it safe for me to take tramadol for pain?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
find the answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to health care magic, I share your concern and I will try to help you out in best possible way.
Tramadol is usually used to manage severe pain. its a narcotic pain reliever.
In case of chronic condition like arthritis, if you use tramadol for prolonged time period it is known to cause dependency along with side effects like,
headache, dizziness, drowsiness, tired feeling;
constipation, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, stomach pain; or
feeling nervous or anxious.
itching, sweating, flushing (warmth, redness, or tingly feeling).
Hence it not advisable in chronic arthritis, instead you can take
tab etoricoxib 90 mg, a more specific and effective drug for arthritis with least of side effects.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Naveen XXXXXXX
Medical Consultant.
Ebix, Inc.
YYYY@YYYY
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 19 minutes later
I have looked up the med you recommend and find it is an NSAID. I can't take these type of medication since I have a 30 year plus history of duodenal and gastric ulcers. I was advised by them never to take an NSAID again by my gastroenterologist that is why I am on Tramadol. Any other ideas? Thanks for your time
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
find the answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Yes even though its a NSAID, its a specific COX 2 inhibitor, which doesn't cause gastritis, hence I prescribed you that drug. that exactly is the reason why it is priced a bit on the higher side.Besides if you take it along with esmaperazole, it will be double safety against gastritis.
But if you are still apprehensive about it, tramadol is the only option left, as almost all the pain killers cause gastritis to an extent, but tramadol does have above said side effects.