Is Tramadol effective in relieving pain?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: I do a lot of lifting with my job, tylenol doesnot seem to relieve the pain. I would like to try tramadol.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs work up and then adequate analgesia. Tramadol is not a good option

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. With lot of lifting and age of 65 years i would suggest stop lifting weights. And the pain likely is back origin .Before trying any thing else than tylenol i would like you to get evaluated for the physical causes of this pain like disc bulge or prolapse or pinched nerve due to any other cuse as arthropathy or age related articular degeneration.

NSAIDs are better option than tramadols. I would like you to get evaluated and let the doctors help you in this regard. Once the pain is localised, then adequate analgesia will be decided by your doctor. They will select the medication best suiting your pain. Meanwhile avoiding lifting weights and maintaining a good postures are mandatory steps in recovery.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please.

Khan