• question-icon

Is Tramadol advisable while suffering from osteoporosis and flat back syndrome?

Posted on Mon, 15 May 2017 in General Health
Question: Dr. With osteoporosis and flat back syndrome following damaging decompression surgery that did not fuse successfully, I have taken Tramadol 75 gm over many months especially in cool weather. It has turned out to be the only antidepressant that makes normal activity possible. Am I damaging my health using tramadol?
XXXXXXX XXXX, age 86
YYYY@YYYY 0000
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
NO!

Detailed Answer:
HI,

Tramadol is a good pain medication and am happy you are taking this and getting your pain well controlled. The reason why you might have felt depressed was because of poor pain control. With tramadol controlling your pain, you have every reason to return and enjoy happiness. That's the magic and tramadol is doing just what it is supposed to do and in no way damages your health.

Tramadol causes constipation. Endeavor to drink much water, fruits, vegetables, increased fiber intake and exercise as often as you can.

I hope this addresses your worry. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 2 days later
DEXA scans wee done on me for four consecutive years, on 3 areas: laft forearm, left femur total and left femur head. only th femur head andfemur total were below -2.5 (true osteoporosis). Since the area for thedecompression operation was low back (L3-L4), should the DEXA scan have been in that lower vertebra area instead
of the femur?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
NOt quite!

Detailed Answer:

There are standard areas where this DEXA scans are done to allow fr comparison and interpretation. A score from these areas reflects the entire body and we are used to interpreting it that way. Do not get bothered about this.

I wish you well.
Dr. Ivo Ditah