Is Thyronorm medication safe to take while twenty weeks pregnant?

Dr. Richa Agarwal

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 3 Mar 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi Doctor.
wanted to have 2nd advice from you regarding tablets prescription.

My wife is 20 weeks pregnant .
TSH report says - 3.726 uIU/mL

she is prescribed the following tablet till delivery:
12.5 mcg thyronorm early morning on empty stomach.
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes,this is a right medicine.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
Thanks for trusting hcm about your health care.
I have gone through your history and report and understand
Your concerns.
Yes,this is right medicine for hypothyroidism,she should go for it because during pregnancy thyroid should be with in normal range because it is very important hormone for baby growth and development.
Hope found useful, feel free to ask more information.
Good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Richa Agarwal 50 minutes later
thank you for the details.
We would like to know if my week who is 20 weeks pregnant can take some food or avoid some food to improve hormone for baby growth and development apart from taking tablets for hypothyroidism.
Please suggest
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
She should avoid underground foods.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
Sorry for the delay in my response.
She should avoid underground foods like potato,reddish.
She can avoid cauliflower,brinjal etc.
She should eat iodine salt.
But she should continue her medicine for it which is very important.
Hope found useful.
Good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T