Is Telma safe to be discontinued after stabilization of BP levels and reducing weight?

Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 10 Oct 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am a 47 YO male, 5'6" and was highly obese at 109 kgs. With consistent BP readings of 140-130/90-95 I started Telma 40 OD along with Clopidogrel OD. BP has stayed at 120/75 for a year now. After being on a diet and exercise regime I have brought my weight down to 86 kgs in 5 months. Can I stop Telma or how can I wean myself off it, while I will keep checking the effect on my BP?
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Reduce Telma dose for 1 month

Detailed Answer:

After going through the medical details provided by you I understand your concern for your health and I would like to tell you that if I would have been your treating doctor I would not have started you with antihypertensive medication as your bp was just borderline (140/95).

Exercise, Weight loss and diet control is the best way for controlling bp in young individuals.

However, now you have been working on lifestyle modifications and also achieved good results I would like to suggest you reduce the dose of Telma to 20mg once a day and keep monitoring your blood pressure.

Continue with this for one month and then let me know the blood pressure response. Then I will guide you accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Bhanu Partap, Cardiologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj