Owl Image

Is Tarceva chemotherapy effective in stage four lung cancer?

Owl Image
Dr. Monish De

Oncologist

Question
Hallo, I was diagnosed with stage four lung cancer last year and am responding well to Tarceva chemotherapy. My question is whenever I look on Internet about tarceva it seems that most people respond to this drug without progression for at least four years. Is this a accurate picture? Thanks for your answer regards jan
Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Monish De 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Progression free survival 2.2 months

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Since you are having stage 4 lung cancer and if your EGFR mutation is positive in biopsy sample then you will respond well to erlotinib meaning tarceva.

The drug will keep your tumour under control, palliate your symptoms and will improve your quality of life.

Since you are already in stage 4 of the disease progression free survival with tarceva will be around 2.2 months and overall survival will be 6.7 months on an average.

Hope I have answered your query.

DR De