Is Tamoxifen effective in breast cancer treatment?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Breast Cancer
Question: I am almost 90 and diagnosed with breast cancer. I opted not to under go surgery so the doctor put me on tamoxefen. I have been giving some thought to my decision. I have seen too many elderly laid low by surgery and am considering letting nature take it's course. Some things just sound worse than dying.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing maters more than your wish and will.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Madam.
With high regards.

I can very well understand the feeling you must have been going through.
If Tamoxifen is helping reducing the tumor, it is working and is one of the valid treatments.

You are absolutely right about your observation about the possible complications of surgery in elderly.

Particularly in case of Ca-breast there are three modalities of treatment
1. Chemotherapy
2. Radiotherapy
3 Surgery- here again we have an option to go for
a. lumpectomy to reduce the load of tumor so that the chemotherapy and/ or . radiotherapy works better , The morbidity is the least.
b. Quadrantectomy- the quadrant in which the tumor is removed
c. Mastectomy- whole breast and axilla is cleared.

I would request you humbly to take the opinion of a Surgical and Medical Oncologist. This is where the rest of the people miss out. Take the opinion of both the Specialists. I am sure you will be most benefited as per the stage of the disease, your age, your will and wish.

I pray for the best for you.