Is TSH level of .02 a cause for concern?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: Had a thyroidectomy in October and the last 2 months my TSH LEVEL IS .04 in January and .02 in February. Is this dangerous?
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Lower the dose of levothyroxine;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking.
After thyroidectomy your doctor should have prescribed levothyroxine, the dose of which is adjusted according to TSH level.
A low TSH level means that you are taking too much levothyroxine and the dose should be lowered.
Taking for long time levothyroxine , with higher doses than needed may be dangerous.
For the moment may cause; rapid heart rate, sweating, insomnia ect.
Once you have changed the dose, you should check the TSH level 6 weeks after until you find the proper dose.
Hope the information will help.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T