• question-icon

Is TSH Level of 8.73 normal?

Posted on Mon, 3 Jul 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I am 49 yr old woman with TSH Level of 8.73 as on 23 Dec 16. Dosage of Thyronome increased from 62.5 to 75. TSH value checked in Apr 17 was 0.94. Repeated test on 31 May and result was 0.13. The dosage was now reduced to 62.5 again. At the same time I've lost 3 kg of weight, my BP varies and hovers around 95/57 and feel always tired. I'm a patient of Celiac disease too. What is wrong and what should I do to PIN point the problem. PLEASE ADVICE FAST. URGENT.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About hypothyroidism treatment;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I have gone carefully through your concern.
Usually the decision rather to start treatment for elevated TSH level ( hypothyroidism) or not depends on the below findings;
-If TSH is between 4-10 mUi/ml and the FT4 and Ft3 within the normal ranges, the presence of underactive thyroid ( hypothyroidism) symptoms such as; constipation, feeling sleepy, dry skin, bradycardia ect. would suggest the need for starting levothyroxine, otherwise follow is recommended.
If you had symptoms of hypothyroidism in December, I would suggest 50 mcg dose of levothyroxine and keep the TSH at the mid range, not the lower ranges.
So stop the treatment (if you didn't have symptoms of hypothyroidism) and check TSH every 6 months or continue with 50 mcg if you were symptomatic.
Hope i have been helpful.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist