Is TPHA test reliable for the serodiagnosis of syphilis?

Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: I took multiple Tpha tests at dr. Lal path labs and thyrocare ( 3 tests all together) and everything came back negative, can I be assured of my results to be conclusive and never had syphilis at any point of time. Possible expose could be 3 1/2 years back and are the test results conclusive and can I relax my mind?
Answered by Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
T. pallidum hemagglutination (TPHA) test

Detailed Answer:
The T. pallidum hemagglutination (TPHA) test has a very high positive predictive value for diagnosis of syphilis. Treponemal tests are likely to remain reactive even after adequate treatment. Hence repeated negative results practically rules out Syphilis.

In cases of doubt, the FTA–ABS (fluorescent treponemal antibody–absorbed ) test is added as FTA precedes TPHA in primary Syphilis in becoming positive.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad