Is TENS advisable for diabetic neuropathy?

Neurologist
Question
my wife has diabetic neuopathy?, the local Dr. don't have many solutions, so my friends recommended the TENS units. do they do any good and if so what is a good unit to look into
Tue, 29 May 2018 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Several studies show benefit with TENS therapy.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Guidelines for treatment of diabetic neuropathy symptoms do not currently include TENS.
However there are a number of published studies indicating improvement from TENS therapy with significant decrease in pain levels. So given that it is a very safe method of treatment, I would certainly try it if other options have failed.
By other options I mean medication like gabapentin, pregabalin or duloxetin as well as anesthetic creams like capsaicin. If those options have bee exhausted I would recommend TENS.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.