Is Surmontil intake safe during pregnancy?
Stopping is good
Thanks for your query.
Surmontil is a pregnancy class C drug, which means that there are no studies in humans that either prove it is safe or prove that it is harmful in pregnancy. However, animal studies so suggest that it may be potentially harmful. Other drugs in the same class such as nortryptiline have shown some harm.
Given all that information, most doctors agree that you should try to stop the medicine in pregnancy, though in extreme cases it may be justified to continue it until you find a better alternative. It sounds like you may be a case like that, though this requires a long conversation with your doctor. You are correct that while the drug may or may not be dangerous, your stress and other ailments can affect the baby as well.
It may make sense to slowly taper off the drug while you start something else that may be safer in pregnancy.
I hope this helps, please let me know if you need more information.
I understand the dilemma, i'll try to help
There may be a few options. Sometimes the pills can be cut in half, which might be an option, but before we discuss that,
Can you tell me why you are on the medicine?
There are various indications and I need to know more before we discuss alternatives. Also, before we even discuss alternatives, please remember that I can only make suggestions, the doctor who prescribes it knows you and will be responsible to help you find the right option for you.
i have been on it for depression, anxiety, panic disorder and trauma, its assists me with sleep and eating.
yes i understand i have since spoken to my doctor about it and he has suggested something that is 25mg that i can take.
Nice to hear that you have another option
Thank you for getting back to me.
Since your problem is complex, it may take you and your doctor time to find the right alternative, but there are enough options out there that you should be able to find the right medicine that is safer in pregnancy. I wish you the best of luck and a happy and healthy pregnancy. Please feel free to let me know if you have any more questions in the future.\
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Is vermox intake safe during pregnancy
- Surmontil for sleep
- Is cefalexin intake safe during pregnancy
- Is unusual tiredness or weakness a side effect of surmontil?
- Surmontil rem sleep
- Is duphaston intake safe during pregnancy
- Is natpreg intake safe during pregnancy
- Is zolfresh intake safe during pregnancy
- Is intake of ecosprin safe during pregnancy
- Is lethargy a side effect of surmontil?
- Does Bendictin intake during pregnancy lead to defects in child?
- Does Bactrim affect birth control implant?
- Is yellow vaginal discharge indication of yeast infection?
- What causes long and scanty periods?
- What drugs help ease withdrawal symptoms from Methadone?
- Does pot show up in urine drug test after three weeks of its consumption?
- Can UA be passed if marijuana has been smoked during pregnancy?
- What does 'endometrium is follicular' mean?
- Problem if overdose of amoxicillin is taken while suffering from heart...
- Can chlamydia be acquired suddenly and then passed on?