Is Stadol the right medicine for migraine headaches?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I have stress and migraine headaches and I take the generic Fioricet. The "old" version is no longer available (50gm-325mg-40mg) and my insurance will not cover the "new" version (50mg-300mg-40mg). I have been on this medication for years and its been a life saver for me. I have tried Stadol but that drug is not for me. The rebound headaches from Stadol are worse then the migraine. Any suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Manisha Gopal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
naproxen sodium; avoid triggers

Detailed Answer:

You are right that stadol is not a drug for treating migraines. It is an opioid and will make one more prone for rebound headaches and this drug may even led to addiction and tolerance ..thereby more drug will be needed in long term.

In chronic cases of migraines I have seen very good results with naproxen sodium with domperidone combination (500mg) to be taken on pnr basis within 5-10min of strating of headaches. If dealyed then no drug will be able to completely abort the headache episode.

If the number of episodes are more than 4 per month and they are debelitating..then we treat this with proper daily medicine. It is good to manage migraine properly.

also try to find your triggers and handle them. Most common triggers are- travelling, hunger, insomnia or sleeping more, alcohol, certain smells,sunlight exposure for long, changing season, ocp pills, alcohol...the list is long...but try to recognize and avoid those which you can.

Hope the reply is useful for you.
Wish you a speedy recovery!

Dr. Manisha Gopal
MD Neuropsychiatry
Dr. Manisha Gopal

Psychiatrist