• question-icon

Is Sominex a prescription drug?

Posted on Fri, 11 Aug 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Will taking Sominex (50 mg) tablets help me fall alseep, but allow me to awaken if an emergency arises or a trip to the bathroom is needed?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

The active ingredient in Sominex is diphenhydramine. This is an antihistamine that tends to be sedating. It is the same antihistamine as what is in Benadryl.

With any somnolent, we never know how our own body will react until we take it. For most adults, the sleep from 50 mg of diphenhydramine will not interfere with waking up if needed.

Whether it will help you with your sleep depends largely on the cause of your insomnia. If you are having trouble falling asleep because of temporary anxiety, a benzodiazepine such as Xanax or Ativan, taken as needed, might help. I don't recommend sleeping pills such as Ambient or Sonata, etc, as those can cause daytime anxiety or agitation in some people.

If the difficulty falling asleep is an ongoing thing, and you have some symptoms of anxiety or depression, then an antidepressant such as Lexapro (escitalopram) can help resolve that.

If you are having trouble falling asleep because of travels to a different time zone, melatonin can sometimes help.

But if you just need a one time sleep aid, Sominex 50 mg is safe and not dependency forming.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh