Is Simvastatin (40mg) taken with ezetimibe (10mg) a good substitute for Vytorin(40mg)?

Dr. Sagar Makode

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 13 Jul 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Is simvastatin (40mg) taken with ezetimibe (10mg) a good substitue for vytorin (40mg) and why would these two satins be subcribed in lieu of Vytorin when my total cholestrol is 151
Follow up: Dr. Sagar Makode 6 minutes later
Total cholesterol 151
Triglycerides 50
HDL 72
LDL 69
VLDL 10
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it's an alternative

Detailed Answer:
Firstly, it's an alternative and you can have it. Vytorin combines both components so easier to have.
Also, the most important reason for its continuation is pleiotropic effects. It has multiple benefits other than lipid lowering like antioxidant, plaque stabilisation etc. It has found to provide mortality benefits beyond lipid control. Also, after stopping, these and lipid lowering effects will gradually vanish so they are continued irrespective of lipid levels. Ezetimibe is not absolutely necessary and it can be stopped but some physician wants to continue it as well.
Hope this helps you and clears your doubt. Get back if you have any doubts.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad