question-icon

Is Silver nitrate gel ideal in the treatment of a burn injury?

Posted on Fri, 31 Mar 2017
Question: My mother has wounds when her screen caught fire. She is aged 75. She has diabetes but it is under control. She is currently XXXXXXX applying silver nitrate gel. Suggest a battery way of treatment. Initially she was given a tetanus shot. Her wounds cleaned and attended a week ago.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. (40 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Kindly upload an image

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for wtiting to us

I am dr.kakkar (dermatologist). I have hone through your query and i have noted your concern.
Can you upload an image of her burn wound so that i am able to guide you better and recommend change if any needed to what she is already applying.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. (26 minutes later)
I have uploaded 2 images. Kindly check and let me know
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. (8 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Oral antibiotic and daily dressing

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

She has 2nd degree burn and it involves quite a large area of skin.
I would suggest that she be started on an Oral antibiotic e.g Moxclav 1gm, twice daily for a week. She may also take an oral painkiller e.g Combiflam, twice daily for pain relief.
In addition I would suggest cleaning the wound daily with sterile saline soaked gauge/ saline compresses (this will help remove dried crust and discharge) followed by Sofra tulle dressing (antibiotic impregnated gauge dressing) of denuded skin to hasten healing.

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist