Is Seroflo inhaler safe during pregnancy?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 12 Jun 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: Hello Doctor

my daughter is now 20 weeks pregnant. she has a bit of wheeze and cough. In XXXXXXX she used to take seroflo for wheeze and hence i asked her to take the inhaler in the morning and night. she stopped after three days because she read somewhere in google it may not be safe, but her wheeze is back. is it safe for her to use seroflo inhaler
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Detail below.

Detailed Answer:
I HAVE GONE THROUGH YOUR QUERY IN DETAIL,MAIN SIDE EFFECTS OF THIS INHALER ARE-Side Effects

Hoarseness, throat irritation, headache, or stomach upset may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, tell your doctor promptly.

Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.

This medication may raise your blood pressure. Check your blood pressure regularly and tell your doctor if the results are high.

Infrequently, this medication may cause severe sudden worsening of breathing problems/asthma immediately after use. If you have sudden worsening of breathing, use your quick-relief inhaler and get medical help right away.
So this is very much safe in short time use.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later
since i am oregnant you have not replied if it will affect the baby. May i pass this question to another gynanec please
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
She can use it during pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
It's safe for her to use an asthma inhaler like seroflo during pregnancy even if it contains steroids. In fact, the doctor will recommend that she can use the inhaler to keep the asthma under control. Most women with asthma have perfectly healthy babies. Having uncontrolled asthma attacks can prevent your baby from getting enough oxygen. No need to worry for the side effects and go for regular antenatal checkup.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D