Is Septra or Bactrim effective in treating chlamydia and Gonorrhea?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: My wife has tested negative for chlamydia and goneria on an RNA amplified prob test negative for bv and yeast infection. Obgyn diagnosed her with a skene's gland abscess it was lanced drained and a catheter was put in . An anaerobic culture was performed and she was prescribed septra ds. The doctor says it the proper treatment given her results. Is septra or bactrim used to treat this condition. Is septra ds used to treat stds?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Drug might be prescribed as per sensitivity test.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.

Septra or Bactrim is one of the anti-microbial drug used to treat bacterial infections. It is not specific for any STD OR Skene's abscess. It is well effective in urogenital infection and gut infections. It is also used to prevent opportunistic infections in HIV disease (Chemo-prophylaxis). Your doctor could have probably selected this drug after seeing the culture and sensitivity test.
Get well soon.
DR S.Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 5 hours later
How reliable are the std tests she took? We took them here at Kaiser Permannente hospital in Los Angeles . My concern is she might have an std. both came up negative. Is she safe?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of STD mightbe ruledout by investigati

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

Skene's glands are situated not very deep. Moreover as their was an abscess, there would be few drops of pus. It would not be very difficult to demonstrate or diagnose STD (by smear or Culture). As there is no mention about Gonorrhea and Chlamydia or as she was not prescribed specific treatment for STD, there would be no chance for any STD with her.
So nothing to worry.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
So the doctor would have told us if she had an std right away?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Definitely it would have been revealed, if any STD

Detailed Answer:
Welcome once again.

Yes, of course, the doctor should have told you if there is any STD to stress the importance of taking treatment, (an adequate treatment) as it is not only your problem, STD is a social problem and would have advised you also to take simultaneous treatment (Partner management) and necessary counseling also would have been given for you both regarding sexual abstinence till the completion of treatment, follow up dates and about the importance of safe sex. If all these procedures were not followed, that indicates that your wife had no STD.
Dr S.Murugan