Is Rexulti a better substitute to Abilify?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 13 Mar 2017 in Mental Health
Question: I am presently taking 15 mg of Ability and am not having good results. Is Resulti a good replacement?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please describe your symptoms

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Icliniq.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

It will be better if you can describe the problems for which ability prescription was made. It is also important to mention what response you got till date and what areas have not shown proper response.

This will help me to guide you further in medicine selection.
I look forward to get reply from you.
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
She had severe depression. Also has been on Ability for over 2 years and none to very little improvement. That is why we are asking about Rexulti. We know it is a much newer medication.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back to me.

I do not think Rexulti will make a better choice if her primary diagnosis is depression. I understand that Rexulti have profound antidepressant effects but we have limited knowledge by now and chance of having effect is much lower as it has quite similar profile to abilify.
It will be better if you chose some antidepressant.

In case that has been done already I will recommend use of low dose seroquel as 10--200 mg of seroqel shows extensive effectiveness against depression.

I hope this helps you.
If you have more questions feel free to write back to me.
Thanks and regards.