Is Qvar effective if taken along with Albuterol?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: Sorry for the delayed response. I contacted dr office on Friday, doctor was out till Monday. I left prescription change request with nurse to give to dr. Wait and see.

Yesterday was a good day. I used an albuterol shot first to open airways then gave dose of qvar and repeat in afternoon. Could feel a change in breathing but not sure what was causing the change. Have not given but a few days of qvar so I assume it was just the albuterol.

Today was one of the days that you fall back. I stayed with qvar but tried to avoid rescue inhaler just to see how day went. Just slight improvement. Of course my mind went to think of copd then when I should be thinking otherwise. I looked back at our prior conversations to see comments and found the time it takes for qvar to work and the comments you made of no copd but airway inflammation.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Qvar is beclomethasone and it is controller.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Good to see you again. It must be Sunday night. Is it?
You again made me worried. You just left without any reply or without closing our previous conversation.
So I was just worried about the same thing again.
Now I am happy to hear again from you.
See, qvar is having beclomethasone.
It is controller, not reliever.
It controls the inflammation. So you can not expect immediate recovery with qvar.
While albuterol is reliever (rescue) inhaler. It gives spontaneous action.
This is the reason why you are feeling less good with only qvar and more improved with both.
You need to take regular qvar to see its effects.
How was your stress level these days?
Please reply me answer of above asked question, so that I can guide you better. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.

Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 17 minutes later
Your right I did not close the last one. I tried to respond on it yesterday and it never sent. So I waited till today. You should quit worrying of losing me, the only way for that is for you to never reply

Stress level on Saturday was low. I had a number of things to do but managed to avoid most and go shopping and out for a meal.

Sunday stress increased be caused I had work to do and I still wanted a little free time to rest

Tomorrow will be busy busy busy.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
So stress level is Co relating with your relief from inhaler.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
If you don't mind, can you please close the previous query and rate my answer.
I will be thankful for this.
Coming back to your current situation, I think stress levels are correlating with your symptoms and relief from symptoms.
When you are less stressed, you are more improved with inhalers and when stress levels are more you are getting lesser benefits.
Do you feel and think so?
I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 11 minutes later
Oh yes I agree totally I am hesitant to use the rescue inhaler beyond the emergency need. So I am impatient waiting for the qvar to start.

If I get a new inhaler tomorrow, will I be starting over on waiting
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sorry to say but I don't get your last question.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for closing the previous query.
Sorry to say but I don't get your last question. Your follow up question is not showing anything.
There might be some technical issue.
Can you please send it again?
Sorry again for the inconvenience.
Hope you will understand.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 minute later

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
What do you mean by 'will I be starting over on waiting'?

Detailed Answer:
Now I got your query.
You seems to be in hurry today. Is it?
Either you made spelling mistake or you didn't convey your thoughts.
Sorry but I can't understand the meaning of this.
Are you trying times say that should I continue with qvar or should start with newer inhaler?
Is it so?
Please reply me answers of above asked questions, so that I can guide you better. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 3 minutes later
Using qvar from the first day, I would have a waiting period until it started showing results. I have a week on qvar.
When I get the new inhaler, will the wait start over or will it be sooner since I have a week on qvar
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Which inhaler you will get?

Detailed Answer:
Now I can understand your concern.
Effect of qvar will be continued if you use new inhaler.
Please let me know, which new inhaler you will get? Is it qvar only or is it newer ICS?
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 22 hours later
Waiting till tomorrow for new script. I think they are leading to Flovent. Of the three types you listed. Which do you prefer. Any special reason for your preference. I ask because I can still go that route.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
All are good.

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern.
All, fluticasone, mometasone and budesonide are equally good.
Amongst them, fluticasone is having slightly better outcomes.
So better to start fluticasone.
No need to worry for this.
Have you talked with pulmonologist for this prescription? Or you just ordered from pharmacy?
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 8 hours later
I have to get pulmonologist to prescribe it. So I had to ask him
Brief Answer:
Yes, this is fine. No problem in it.

Detailed Answer:
Yes, this is absolutely fine.
I just wanted to ask that, your local pulmonologist was convinced about using newer ICS (inhaled corticosteroids)?
Or you had to make efforts to convince him?