Is Provera the right medicine for heavy vaginal bleeding?

Dr. S Patra

OB and GYN Specialist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Women's Health
Question: I've been bleeding for about 3 months now, I have been diagnosed with PCOS, ( poly-cystic ovarian syndrome). My Ob dr has prescribed provera 10mg for 10 days, he says to wash out all of the lining of the uterus which I figure I'll be having more bleeding come out. I've been bleeding as it is and I'm concerned to take it and have an overflow while at work. I would like to get a second opinion about my issue and taking provera. Will it work and stop my bleeding?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Provera will help to stop bleeding.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments:

1) PROVREA contains Medroxyprogesterone acetate as active ingredient and it should be taken as 10 mg daily for next 10 days (as prescribed by your doc) to control and arrest heavy bleeding. It is widely used and will give effective result in your case.

2) Another thing, you should undergo one pelvic ultrasound scan, hemoglobin% and complete hormone profile to rule out underlying pathology (beside PCOS) and confirm the diagnosis.

3) Take healthy protein diet, IRON supplements or foods to combat deficiency and prevent anemia, maintain genital hygiene properly.

Hope, it helps for your information. Wish your good health and take care.

For future query, you can directly approach me through

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=63326

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 26 minutes later
Thank you Doctor, with this confirmation i will start Provera to help my issue. I will follow up with my OB dr about more analysis to confirm my disgnosis.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear,

You are most welcome in this platform. You should follow up with above mentioned tests to your regular doctor and give me update about reports.

Good luck and take care.