Is Protonix advisable for patients with liver lesions?

Dr. Eni

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have for years off and on had a burning sensation upper left quadrant, I take protonex for acid reflux. Now a lesion has been found on my liver, the burn seems to get irritated with coughing any ideas. I have has a CT scan, M.R.I done and still no answers. I am 50 years old
Answered by Dr. Eni 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Stop Protonix, consider other antiacids, talk with your doctor about biopsy

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient,

Welcome and thank you for your question.

First you need to stop the Protonix for acid fluid, till the lesion in the liver has been explained. Protonix is part of PPi class drug and they should not be used in liver diseases.

To substitute it I would recommend antiacids over the country (without prescription) such as Maalox and the general lifestyle advices against gastric reflux: -the diet without aboundant meals, no chocolate, co alcohool, no gaseos drinks, no smoking, no beans, sleeping with two pillows at night and drinking a lot of water.

Regarding the liver lesion:
There are many causes for liver lesions. They can include malignant causes such as cancer, or benign causes like cysts, hepatic adenomas, hemangiomas, focal nodular hyperplasia, or infectious causes.

As for the frequency, it will depend on what kind of liver lesion is in question. I would say that benign causes of liver lesions are more common than malignant ones. The number of lesions does not normally point to a diagnosis. The best way for further evaluation would be imaging such a CT scan or MRI or biopsy.
To my knowledge, benign liver lesions do not "change" into cancer. It is either cancerous or not from the beginning.
Treatment would depend on what the lesions are. Some lesions, such as cysts are simply observed. Other lesions may be resected, based on what it is and the size.

Followup with your personal physician is essential and next step should be probably to talk about a liver biopsy.

If you have other questions, please feel free to post them.

I wish you a fast relief,
Eni M.D
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad