Is Pneumococcal conjugate vaccine recommended for children?

Dr. Venkata Subrahmanaym Mukkavilli

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Child Health
Question: hello Dr. my name is XXXX. my question is about pcv vaccine. is it recommends you to give pcv vaccine to my 5 months old baby girl in India? I believe it is an optional vaccine and may not be necessary in India. kindly advice.
Answered by Dr. Venkata Subrahmanaym Mukkavilli 47 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes, the PCV vaccine is recommended. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for asking question on health care magic. Children less than 2 years old are at risk of invasive pneumococcal disease. Hence it is recommended for all children below 2 years of age. Although it is proclaimed as optional in India,better give it if you can afford it. PCV7 is given as 0.5ml dose on 6th and 8th months of age about 8 weeks apart and a booster dose at 15-18 months (total 3 doses) It prevents otitis media, pneumonia and meningitis caused by pneumococci Hope this answer will serve your purpose Please feel free to ask any more queries if required Take care Dr.M.V.Subrahmanyam MD;DCH Associate professor of pediatrics
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T