Is Plaquenil effective in treating Sjogren's syndrome?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: will plaquenil sqelch the symptoms of noropathy caused be sjogrins and stop its progressiom

w
ill get tired I am working and I am very active, I s there any medical interactions .
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no interactions with plaquenil

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Plaquenil is a used in autoimmune diseases (diseases where the body is basically fighting itself) such as sjogren's syndrome, it is classified as a a disease modifiying drug.

This means it changes the underlying disease and helps to slow down its progression. It can help reduce symptoms so it is possible that it would help with your neuropathy.
Because this type of medication works by trying to change the disease itself, it can take a long time for a person to feel an effect, it can take weeks to months.

In terms of interactions: (1)cozaar, triamterene HCTZ and aspirin all increase potassium levels so these should be monitored

(2)aspirin can sometimes decrease the effect of losartan meaning that it would affect its ability to reduce blood pressure

There are no interactions with the plaquenil

I hope this helps , feel free to ask any other questions