Is Plan B or Ella effective at preventing pregnancy post unprotected intercourse?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 15 May 2018 in Birth Control
Question: Hello,
I recently had unprotected sex early Dec 7. On either Thursday Dec 7th or Friday Dec 8th I went to the clinic took a pregnancy test. It was negative. Took XXXXXXX the emergency contraceptive. My restarted my birth control. Nuva Ring. Unfortunately, last night or early this morning I believe I had unprotected sex. I can’t remember.

I would like to know should I take Plan B or Ella? And if so, how effective will it be?

Please. Respond soon, I am freaking out. I don’t want to be pregnant.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Have Plan B.

Detailed Answer:
If you had unprotected sex again last night then you need to have Plan B again to avoid the unwanted pregnancy. Nuvaring will take 2 weeks before it becomes effective as a contraceptive. Having Plan B can cause a mild irregular bleeding due to hormonal disturbance.
Do have Plan B and avoid having such episodes again for next 2 weeks.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D