Is Periactin a better alternative to Zonegran for treatment of brain injury?
from an accident. The np wants me to replace zonegran with periactin 1 and 1/2 -2 tablets at night, and I can't do it. Could you tell me what and where to go to get help with this problem.
Need more information on the actual seizures
Greetings. My name is Dr. Dariush Saghafi and I am a neurologist from the XXXXXXX Ohio region of the world.
I will be happy to help you but I need more information on these episodes. Have you had any testing such as an EEG, MRI of the brain, etc.? What is your level of cognition or mentation like during these episodes. You say there are "violent" muscle spasms....is there any rhythmic jerking movements of the limbs when these episodes strike or not? I understand that Aptiom is used in the treatment of partial onset seizures but this is usually as an ADJUNCT to control. There is usually another agent that is being used as the primary. Is that what the zonegran was for? But it sounds like the NP wants you to stop it now? I suspect the NP wants you to use Periactin to try and lessen the side effects of the Aptiom?
If you had a closed head injury and these episodes are as a result of that and there is EEG or MRI proof of damage or seizure activity then, I would likely try an agent more robust than Aptiom or Zonegran....but that is your neurologist's call. Perhaps, you can ask to be sent for an opinion with an epileptologist if you don't think things are being controlled adequately.
If this information has been helpful I'd appreciate a bit of written feedback and a STAR RATING before you leave the neighborhood or whatever. if there are no further questions on these issues I'd equally appreciate your CLOSING THE QUERY on your end so that it may be processed, archived, and credited for future reference.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Treatment and cure for massive brain injury
- Hyperbaric treatment for brain injury
- Treatment and cure for acquired brain injury
- Treatment and cure for insignificant brain injury
- Sinus infection brain injury treatment
- Treatment and cure for internal brain injury
- Treatment and cure for anoxic brain injury
- Treatment and cure for diffuse brain injury
- Alternative treatments for traumatic brain injury
- Treatment and cure for brain injuries
- What causes vision Problems, dizzy Spells and severe anxiety?
- What causes chronic lacunar onfarction?
- Suggest treatment for spinal cord injury
- What causes stiffness and pain in neck with headache?
- What is the incubation period for viral meningitis?
- What causes dry mouth after having cortisone injection?
- What is the cause and treatment for headache with dizziness?
- Suggest treatment for migraine headaches
- What causes pain in left arm?
- What is the cause and treatment for nigh terrors in a child?