Is Pepto-Bismol advisable for travellers diarrhea?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Wed, 28 Oct 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am allergic to Aleve and naprosyn, Cipro also. I break out with hives. Can I take Pepto Bismal for travelers diarrhea ?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
there is no cross-reactivity between pepto-bismol and the other drugs

Detailed Answer:

pepto-bismol has various formulations. I suppose you're talking about pepto-bismol for diarrhea which contains loperamide. There is no cross-reactivity between loperamide and the drugs you've mentioned, so we wouldn't expect an allergic reaction unless you're allergic to loperamide itself.

Please note that loperamide should not be used when there is blood in the stool or fever because it may make things worse.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
You can contact me again, if you'd like any clarification or further information.

Kind Regards!