Is Pantoprazole a safe drug?

Dr. Rovena Murati

Posted on Sat, 20 Jun 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: How safe is Pantoprazolesod and what are some of the side effects and other drugs that should not be taken with this drug. I was given this by a heart doctor.
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

Pantoprazole is a drug that is used to decrease the amount of acid produced in stomach.It is used to treat conditions like acid reflux ,gastritis, peptic ulcer and other conditions related to excessive stomach acid.

Like every other drug ,Pantoprazole has some side effects but these are minor and not serious.In general, pantoprazole has been very well tolerated.
Possible side effects of Pantoprazole include abdominal pain,diarrhea, nausea,dry mouth etc. but usually these are very rare.

Pantoprazole has major interactions only with few drugs like some antivirals used to treat HIV infection and Methotrexate.

Pantoprazole doesn't have any major interaction with the other drugs that you are taking (Amlodipine and Atorvastatin) so you can use these drugs together.

Hope it helps.
Let me know if you have any question.

Kind regards,
Dr.Rovena Murati