question-icon

Is PSA value of 9.7 a cause for concern?

Posted on Tue, 19 Jul 2016
Question: psa has been going from 4 to 9.7 . I had a BX and it was negative. I also just had the MRI ultersound and it also showed nothing. The Urologist now wants me to have another BX. Why would we need to do that again?
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
i dont think it is necessary

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
Bipsy should be done if there is significant increase in PSA or suspicious prostate mass seen on imaging tests. In your case, none of it is present so I dont think this is required. YOu can suggest your urologist to have ultrasound follow up in 1-2 months and PSA check. WIsh you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon