Is PSA level of 4.5 a cause for concern?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I am 70 years old. 6 months ago my PSA was 4.7. Been taking Tamsulosin .4 mg daily. My count is now 4.5. Is this normal or should I seek anoth opinion
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need to repeat and ultrasound of prostate and alkaline phosphatase

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been gone through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, it is normal and doesn't seem much to be worried about but still if you are facing some problems with urination or feeling of urinary urgency or freqeuncy or burning in urine then kindly get a urinalysis and repeat the ultrasound KUB done with prostate and both pre and post voiding urine volumes should be determined to see any residual urine as well the weight of prostate.

A Xray spine and Alkaline phosphatase can also be done for a baseline level to look for any rise. Every six monthly PSA and ultrasound needs to be repeated.

Hope this has answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards