Is PSA level of 2.7ng/mL while on Finasteride indicative of cancer?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Wed, 10 Oct 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I have a question about PSA levels. I am 64 years old and have a very enlarged prostate (approx 126ml) and have had some symptoms including hematuria. In July 2017 my PSA was 4.2 and free percent PSA was 24%. In Oct 12 core biopsy was negative. This week PSA was 2.7 and free percent PSA was 30%. I have been on finasteride and I know that this drug lowers PSA levels but may not change free percent PSA levels. Based on the latest numbers I wanted to know an estimate of the likelihood of me having prostate cancer? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
With given reports there is no possibility of you having prostate cancer .

Detailed Answer:

Based on the reports of your PSA and Multi Core Prostate Biopsy of Prostate.I can assure you that there is no possibility of you having cancer of the Prostate at all.Do not worry about the quantum of free PSA.

Since, you have Enlarged prostate of about 116 ml I would suggest you to take combination of Tomsulossin and Dutasteride once daily instead of Finesteride. You can discuss this with your treating Urologist.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. P. T. Patil, Urologist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D