• question-icon

Is PSA level of 1.44 a cause for concern?

Posted on Tue, 1 Aug 2017 in Cancer
Question: My most recent PSA result was at 1.44, and was told that it should be calculated X three, because I am currently taking Finasteride, 5mg. I would like to know if this is true? (I was confirmed positive to having prostate cancer about three years ago, which is when I was prescribed Finasteride).

I also did read an article which states that Finasteride is ONLY prescribed to patients who are diagnosed with BPH (benign prostate hyperplasia). Is this true or false?? Because if this is true, why then would my doctor prescribe this medication to me, when he, in fact, has confirmed my positive result for having prostate cancer. Please advise. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello. This is not true

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear. I have gone through the details. So if you were already diagnosed with carcinoma prostate, further evaluation should have been done to look for other sites of tumor followed by definite therapy as you are still young. Finasteride has no role in ca prostate and its only for benign prostatic enlargement.
Moreover during any treatment we do not calculate psa as times 3.
I would like to see the reports on the basis of which you were diagnosed as carcinoma prostate. Please revert back with reports.
Thanks and regards
Feel free to ask further
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Deepak Sundriyal

Oncologist