Is Omnacortil safe to take for running nose and cough?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: Sir My daughter aged 10+ has been suffering from running nose, sneezing and cough on regular basis. The doc diognosed her Asthmatic and prescribed her Levoceterizine 5 and Montelukast 10 mg combination on regular basis.Moreover , she has to take Omnacortil 15 mg for 5 days when the problem is more. I like to know whether the medicines are safe or there are some alternative treatment to it. She is overweight also.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As below:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. Considering her age, get an X-ray Skull lateral view to rule out Adenoid hypertrophy.

2. Levocetrizine and Montelukast is safe for long term use however Omnacortil is better used only for short periods of time.

3. Sinusitis must be ruled out with a screening CT Scan. Does she ever complain of headaches?

4. A nasal steroid spray will help reduce the sneezing.

5. The cough may be due to the above issues, lymphoid hypertophy, food allergy or acid reflux.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 10 hours later
Thanx a lot Sir. I'll get all the test as advised and in the meantime can u suggest any nasal spray useful for her?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
As below:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. A nasal steroid spray containing mometasone is recommended as it's bioavailability to the rest of the body is very low.

2. A trial of at least two weeks with once daily use should be done. It may take 7-10 days for the action to build up.

3. You may follow up with the reports and the response to medication here or directly at bit.ly/Dr-Sumit-Bhatti

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 5 hours later
Thanks a lot Doctor
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 32 hours later
Brief Answer:
As below:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

Wishing you and your family good health,

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj