question-icon

Is Omnacortil safe for a child?

Posted on Mon, 29 Sep 2014
Question: My 2 and half year old daughter has cough, cold and wheezing for one week. This is third time in this month when she gets cough. She is taking Antibiotic Synclar and Bro-zedex syrup and she is on nebulization . Her cough and wheezing is not reducing.Now doctor has prescribed omnacortil. Is it safe for her? Is there any alternative non-steroidal medicine for this condition.
Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy (27 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
safe to take.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to us.

Went through your query .

Omnacortil is a oral steroid given in acute cases usually in a wheezing episode not subsiding with the routine medications.

So if your doctor has examined your child and prescribed it , then do not worry , go ahead.

If the wheezing is severe , steroids are helpful, alternative medications include salbutamol nebulisation given frequently say once in 3 hours depending on the severity.

Hope I have cleared your doubts,thank you, regards.
Dr. Kaushik K Murthy

Pediatrician