Is Olanzapine prescribed for bipolar disorder and psychosis?
I am scared of addiction....
Please rephrase your question
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns
In your question you are concerned about a medication that was prescribed for you to help you sleep. You did not mention the medication. Please rephrase your question with the name of the medication so I can better answer your question.
Look forward to hearing back from you
Olanzapine is not a Benzodiazepine but an atypical antipsychotic/ Bipolar
Thank you for responding to my question. Yes the medication olanzapine or zyprexa is a heavy medication. It is used for people with bipolar disorder and psychosis. It carries with it a black box warning that in elderly patient may cause sudden death from cardiovascular or infectious events. It will also stimulate appetite and case weight gain and possible diabetes. i would recommend not taking the medication. There are other medications that can help that are not such heavy hitters. I usually recommend trying trazodone or remeron which are antidepressants. These are not habit forming and have low side effects.
I hope this answers your question. If you have any addition comments or questions please contact us again.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Depakote dosing for bipolar disorder
- Bipolar disorder symptoms
- Bipolar disorder and weight gain
- Sodium valproate for bipolar disorder
- Diagnosis bipolar disorder
- Is cymbalta prescribed for type 2 bipolar disorder
- Lamotrigine bipolar disorder
- Somatosensory disengagement in bipolar disorder
- Taking lamictal for bipolar disorder why was thorozene prescribed
- Bipolar disorder suicidal prescribed abilify what do we fear