Is Oestradiol Valerate safe in pregnancy?

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Infertility Specialist

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Women's Health
Question: Is oestradiol valerate safe in pregnancy? My dr has prescribed 8mg per day. I fell pregnant naturally but have some history of fertility issues and have undergone a few ivf cycles in the past. My hcg, progesterone and estrogen levels at first blood test at 5 weeks pregnant were all good, prior to taking any support medication.
I know estrogen is prescribed during ivf particularly FET due to you needing the estrogen support, but should I need it seeing as I fell pregnant naturally this time around and my starting numbers were good? I am worried about it harming my baby so I want to stop taking it as there are warning everywhere agaings taking whilst pregnant, but I don't want to risk losing my baby either. My dr is very busy and I cannot get in to see him quickly. I spoke to his nurse on the phone and she said I should keep taking it to support the lining. My numbers were good to start with on their own though and have since doubled at the correct rate and are looking very good. I have been taking the support medication for 8 days now starting at 5 weeks. Can your numbers be good to start with and then decline rapidly without the extra support? Should I be pushing this more to come off this medication? I am also on 800mg progesterone pessaries a day and taking ralovera.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stop estradiol

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I read your query and I understand your concerns.

Following is my reply

1. You are right since you got pregnant naturally you don't need these medicines.

2. Estradiol improves endometrial lining especially during FET.

3. You can continue progesterone medicines.

4. It will be safe to stop estradiol anytime now.

Let me know if you have any more queries.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Koregol 12 minutes later
Thank you Dr. What is your feedback on my hormone numbers I sent through? And without the extra estrogen support would you expect them to drop or continue healthily upward?
Do I need to wean myself off estrogen it or is it safe to stop suddenly? Is there a risk of bleeding or miscarriage? Do I need to monitor my estrogen levels more closely with blood tests to ensure my levels don't drop too much after stopping the medication?

Is there a risk I have harmed my baby? If so, what sort of harm can estradiol cause? And how high or low are the risks? Thank you dr.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
ultrasound

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I hope you got ultrasound scan done to check fetal heart beat. That is more important than all these hormonal levels.

All hormones are Fine. You should see fetal heart beat by now.

You can safely stop estradiol. Don't worry as it is not likely to harm your baby by now.

No need to monitor estradiol levels. Concentrate on ultrasound scan now.

Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Koregol 7 minutes later
Thank you dr. I will stop the estradiol as of today. I have my first ultra sound scheduled in 12 days time. I will try to ask if the dr can fit me in sooner to ease my mind.

Would you be so kind to answer one last question, due to my medical history my dr also has me on aspirin 100mg as mentioned, what is your opinion on this? In my situation do the benefits of taking it outweigh the risks so I should keep on taking it? Is it bad for my baby?

Thank you kindly

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Continue aspirin. It is good for you and baby.

Try to get ultrasound today itself. This more important than all tests and to know if baby is viable.