Is Norethisterone effective after unprotected sex?
My Girlfriend and I had Unprotected sex on 6th day of her menstrual cycle. She is on a 28 day cycle consistently.Her periods started on 25Th January. We had it on 30th January in the withdrawal method. She took an iDOZ 72 within 4 hrs after intercourse.
She has not yet got her periods until now(12th March).Which means there is a delay of 17 days
She took the pregnancy strip test yesterday and it was negative in an early morning urine sample
I understand that pregnancy chances are almost 0%due to the following reasons
Ovulation does'nt happen on the 6th day
Emergency contraceptive was taken in the first 24 hrs
Withdrawl method was used which reduces chances but is not 100% fool proof
Strip test was done two weeks after missed period and it tested negative
A couple of questions
Is there any remote chance of a pregnancy
What is the next course of action?
1) Do i take get serum HCG done?
2)Do i have to put her on progesterone?
3)Do i Have to repeat the pregnancy strip test?
4)Do i have to just keep on waiting for her next period?
No chance of pregnancy. Take Norethisterone pill.
Thanks for posting your query. Followings are my comments:
1) You did unprotected sex with using withdrawal method in SAFE period and she took iDOZ 72 within 4 hrs, which gives more than 95% extra protection against unwanted pregnancy. In this case, she has NO chance of pregnancy.
2) Hormonal imbalance (due to effect of pill), mental stress or anxiety, over weight, change in diet pattern etc can delay her period.
3) There is NO need to undergo serum beta-hCG test as her pregnancy strip test is NEGATIVE, 2 weeks after missed period.
4) She would take Norethisterone pill (like PRIMOLUT-N tab) twice daily for 5 days to induce period. She will get withdrawal bleeding like period within 5-7 days after stopping them.
Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query.
Wish your good health and practice safe sex in future.
Dr S Patra
For future query, you can directly approach me through
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Side effects of norethisterone tablets
- Effects of norethisterone on miscarriage
- Side effects norethisterone
- Norethisterone effect on unborn fetus
- Norethisterone withdrawal side effects
- Norethisterone sugar level effects
- Norethisterone acetate side effects
- Is it effective norethisterone and clomid
- Side effects of norethisterone gynaset
- Effects of local anesthsia with norethisterone