Is Norco or Oxycodone good for chronic pain?

Dr. Matt Wachsman

Addiction Medicine Specialist

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have been on opioids for pain management for 15 years. What are the advantages of Opana vs. Norco or Oxycodone? I am 49 yrs old with conditions that will never be cured and my pain is never truly managed. I worry about becoming tolerant to all forms of pain killers. In NC, fentynl isn't accessible without a prior Hx of cancer. I used to get 3 600mcg lollipops of those, but can no longer receive them. Any recommendations?
Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consider all options.

Detailed Answer:
Fundamentally there is only the duration and dose of the narcotics. Norco and oxycodone are very similar. They are short duration and come in moderate doses. Opana
https://www.nhms.org/sites/default/files/Pdfs/Opioid-Comparison-Chart-Prescriber-Letter-2012.pdf is considerably more potent and lasts longer. So it is more dangerous and more addicting.
Methadone by an addiction clinic is safe... by pain management it has had a very high rate of fatalities. It is perhaps not as helpful for pain as equivalent doses of other medications but is administered at higher doses. Don't suppose I can recommend methadone.

Mainly 40 mg a day of narcotic such as vicodin is a very reasonable dose. It is quite smaller than either the fentanyl or most doses of OPANA. If someone can be on a dose that has low toxicity, low impairment and even if addiction, at a dose where the withdrawal would not be very much (40 mg a day) that would be good.