Is Nitroglycerin advisable while suffering from migraine?
i have been told i need a heart ct. I am deprived of caffeine. I will have a caffeine withdrawal migrain and now they are telling me they will absolutely not do the ct if i dont take the nitroglycerine. My question is can the ct be done without the nitroglycerine and what can i take before hand to get rid of the migraine that i am pretty sure will be debilitating. should i ask the cardiologist to give me something strong
Nitroglycerin increases CT scan accuracy.
Hello and thanks for using HCM.
I have read your question and understand your concerns.
Nitroglycerin use improves the coronary diameter, the number of assessable segments, image quality and diagnostic accuracy of coronary CT angiography.
It can be done also without nitroglycerin, but is less accurate.
Headaches that may be related to nitroglycerin are temporary, and can be improved by over the counter painkillers.
In conclusion, in my opinion you should use nitroglycerin before CT scan, in order to increase results accuracy.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
You can take it after the examination.
There are no exact rules when to take the painkiller in the case of CT examination, however, in my opinion, you could take it after the examination.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suffering from migraines no strength vomiting
- Excedrin migraine nitroglycerin
- Suffer from migraines what is the cause
- Norethisterone taking as a migraine sufferer
- Suffering migraines post chemotherapy
- Help for migraine sufferers
- Silent migraine nitroglycerin
- Yoga therapy helps migraine sufferers
- I am suffering from migraine, can i take excedrin migraine?
- Focal areas of gliosis in migraine suffers