• question-icon

Is NeuroStar TMS the right medicine for depression?

Posted on Fri, 27 May 2016 in General Health
Question: Would you recommend Neurostar TMS for depression rather than conitnued SSRIs for an indefiniate period of time? What are the risks/benefits of this treatment?
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
rTMS is safe

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM

TMS or trams cranial magnetic stimulation is a method of treatment which uses magnetic stimulation for depression treatment. Some cortical areas which are thought to be hypoperfused in depression are targeted. This selective stimulation can't be achieved by medicines. The therapy is safe and results are also quick but multiple sittings are needed for best effects. The results doesn't last long and treatment is needed again in maintenance treatment.

Over all the therapy is considered as safe, free of serious side effects. In some individuals precipitation of seizures is seen. Syncope is also a rare side effect. Mild headache is some times seen. Apart from this no significant side effects are there.

SSRIs are first line treatment of depression and have side effects. rTMS is reserved for individuals who fail to respond to medicines. The therapy is costly also.

So if with medicines you are not seeing improvement then I'd recommend rTMS,

Thanks, hope this helps, if you have more to ask please ask again.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist