Is NeuroStar TMS the right medicine for depression?
rTMS is safe
Hello thanks for asking from HCM
TMS or trams cranial magnetic stimulation is a method of treatment which uses magnetic stimulation for depression treatment. Some cortical areas which are thought to be hypoperfused in depression are targeted. This selective stimulation can't be achieved by medicines. The therapy is safe and results are also quick but multiple sittings are needed for best effects. The results doesn't last long and treatment is needed again in maintenance treatment.
Over all the therapy is considered as safe, free of serious side effects. In some individuals precipitation of seizures is seen. Syncope is also a rare side effect. Mild headache is some times seen. Apart from this no significant side effects are there.
SSRIs are first line treatment of depression and have side effects. rTMS is reserved for individuals who fail to respond to medicines. The therapy is costly also.
So if with medicines you are not seeing improvement then I'd recommend rTMS,
Thanks, hope this helps, if you have more to ask please ask again.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Is cymbalta a good medicine for depression
- Herbal medicine for depression
- Depression and unani medicine
- Depressed not able to sleep medicine
- Which is the best medicine for depression
- Medicine for depression and anxiety
- Tms treatment for depression
- Anti depressant medicines
- Natural medicine for depression
- Alternative medicine for depression
- Sight problem. Taking pregabalin for fibromyalgia. Should I stop...
- Found mucus and pus cell in stool test. Suggested to go for colonoscopy...
- Suffering from erectile dysfunction. Taking paroxetine and sustimax....
- On medication for clinical depression. What diet should I take to reduce...
- Alcoholic, suffering from OCD, depression, suffered seizure. Prescribed...
- Trying to quit tobacco. What should I do for this?
- Taking clozazepam. Safe and easy method to stop taking this medicine?
- Taking fluoxidine, lectopam. Feeling weak, anxiety, nervous and chest...
- Aderall induced psychosis. How long will the effects last?
- Started getting panic attack after taking mucinex dm. Cause for concern?