Is Neosporin effective in treatment of herpes sores?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Is it possible to treat herpes sores with Neosporin?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Herpes sores are caused by herpes virus infection. It is a viral infection which needs anti-viral cream.

Neosporin is containing antibiotic cream, which is used to treat bacterial infections and not viral infections.

If a herpes sore is co-infected with bacteria and won't heal after using anti-viral cream, then, can use Neosporin to treat the bacterial co-infection. This is happening rarely. Usually, herpes sores do get better after using anti-viral cream (can find at over the counter).

Hope it answered to your queries!
Dr.Albana