• question-icon

Is Nattokinase safe to take for recurrent DVT?

Posted on Mon, 30 May 2016 in Veins and Arteries
Question: Is it possible to take a supplement for Recurring DVT with Recurring PE instead of Coumadin such as Nattokinase? Would blood still have to be monitored? To me it would seem unsafe to not monitor it because clots in the lungs are very life threatening. However, maybe Nattokinase is not affected by so many things as Coumadin is. Would it be safe do you think? Or not worth taking the chance because o0f the high possibility of death from lung clots. I just take too many drugs and I am concerned about it.

I really don't mind the monitoring. I only live 1 mile from the Clinic Lab.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration.
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nottokinase not a solution, well established anticoagulation needed

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. With recurrent Depp venous thrombosis and history of pulmonary embolism, coumadins / warfarin's are the lifelong therapies you need and i am afraid this enzyme supplement of some japanese herb can not be a replacement of a clinically proven antithrombotic medicine. If you are worried and tired of monitoring there are some other options like direct factor inhibitors like rivaroxaban, fondaparinux etc, which don't need monitoring but are costly.

Discuss other anticoagulation options with your doctor and let them decide what is best for you. One thing is for sure and that is inability of nottokinase to manage your DVT.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan